Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bienvenidos a Buenos Aires!


Man, I’m really tired, so hopefully this will be short.  We landed in Buenos Aires around 7:30 am (10:30 am in BA) after not getting much sleep last night.  At least the person I sat next to on the plane, Steve, was really cool.  I really wanted to just look out my window and listen to music, but I figured if I was going to be proactive on this trip, the plane is a perfectly good place to start.  He wasn’t from BA but had lived here for the last four years.  He gave me lots of good music to listen to.  It was mainly folk, indie, and electronica: my favorites!!! Crazy coincidence right? He also wrote down the names of some good bars and cafes.  We had lots of great conversation for most of the plane ride and  felt really rewarded for deciding to be brave! We got to talking about people’s exercise habits in BA because I would love to keep running while I’m here; it’s very popular in all the parks he said, and he just happens to have a friend that teaches yoga in my neighborhood.  I plan on giving her a call this week to get started!

After leaving the airport, a taxi took us to our apartments.  I was in shock. I couldn’t have asked for a better place to live.  We are in a great location in Recoleta, a ritzy part of town, on the corner of the national cemetery where the beloved Evita Peron is buried.  Even the cemetery is beautiful.  And there are trees growing in the middle of sidewalks. HUGE ones that arch over the street making you feel as though you’re in French quarters and a forest or park at the same time.  We just spend the day unpacking and getting settled into the new house, which by the way has a balcony the length of the apartment with a fantastic view.  We did manage to make a quick trip to the supermercado (supermarket) to grab a couple things for lunch tomorrow.  It’s still taking time to register that prices are in pesos, not dollars.

Tonight the whole group went to dinner with our advisors Carolina and Kipat a nicer restaurant called Regaletto where I had a delicious pasta that tasted so fresh and rich. It was the perfect end to our first day here.  A full belly, a glass of wine, and I was ready for bed.  Yet here I am, at 1:30 am still awake. Ha! It’s hard to sleep with so much excitement!

Once we got back home, I was surprised to see that the neighborhood was completely vivacious.  There is awesome techno music blaring from a club across the street.  Blaring, but still enjoyable when our patio door is open. I can’t wait to have the energy to go party. 

Well, so much for this being short, but I HAVE to get to bed.

Hasta luego,
Amelia

‘Nothing is neither good nor bad; thinking makes it so. “ –William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment