Saturday, April 9, 2011

Bariloche part 2: pretty as a postcard

As much I enjoyed the educational part of the trip, what we were all really waiting for was the nature excursion.  Settled in the heart of the Patagonia region, Bariloche is a world-renowned tourist destination, known for its beauty, ski resorts, and chocolate.

Even before any of the tours or excursions, we were impressed just with the drive in and the view from our hotel balcony.


After following Canal Seis all morning Tuesday, we snuck out of the newscast early to take a city tour while it was still light out.  The main strip of town runs along the shore of Lake Nahuel Huapi, named after the indigenous Mapuche people.  Other names in the Bariloche have Swiss and German influences as well.

The town is very narrow and long, as it runs the length of the lake.  We drove all the way through to a neighboring village, both of which are located inside the Nahuel Huapi National Park.  In the nearby town, we took a skylift to the top of the mountain.  Nothing could have prepared me for what we would see.

It was a 360 degree view of lakes, rivers, and mountains for miles without end.  Nothing has ever reminded me of how small I am, and how magnificent Mother Nature is.  The view brings tears to your eyes, and makes you wonder how terrible things like the villas exist in such a beautiful world.  It also made me so sad that society cares so little about protecting the earth.  If they spent a day in Bariloche, maybe the'd have a new perspective.  Carolina told us there were refuges all throughout the mountains for hikers to stay and get food.  No matter how thankful I was for this FREE trip that required no planning because it was organized by school, it was hard not to regret only being there 2 days.

I stood at the top for quite some time trying to soak up very angle and imprint the landscape into my mind forever.  I was literally speechless, which we all know is rare for me.  Pictures are nice, but they come nowhere near capturing the majesty of what we saw and felt standing up there.  I'm sure this all sounds like an exaggeration, but may I remind you, I haven't even been to Colorado.  I don't get experiences like this often.  God has truly blessed me so much in giving me the opportunity to come to Argentina.

Not only did I appreciate being there in that moment, but if this was so amazing, I wondered what else the world had to offer that I have been missing out on.  I want to see it all!  If anyone knows money doesn't buy happiness, it's me.  But it's hard to ignore that money does buy a lot of awesome things.  Not that I want a huge house or fancy car, but you can't exactly travel the world without money either.  Standing at the top of that peak definitely overwhelmed me with emotions.


Next, we went to Llao Llao, a world-famous hotel and golf course.  From there we could see one lone snow-covered peak, which happened to be the border of Chile.
There was also a port where people could take boats trips out on the lake.  It looked like my ideal place to live. Literally, everywhere you looked was a postcard waiting to happen.  If only my family or friends could have been there with me.  If I was that moved and in a state of ecstasy just from being there with random kids I was assigned to live with, I can't begin to imagine what it would be like that share that experience with the people I love.  My boy would have been in heaven there, and though this was a million times more breathtaking, I was still reminded of family vacations to the Smoky Mountains or Mt. Rushmore.  I was happy to be there and sad my family would never get the chance to know that same happiness with me.

Next, we went to a panoramic looking point that literally is on every postcard I've seen for Bariloche.  I think Hans showed us every angle of the mountains.  It never ceased to leave me awestruck with butterflies in my stomach.

Lastly, we visited the aldeañas area which is where the mouth of a river met the lake.  Sorry I don't know exact names.  Anyways, it was known for fly-fishing and the Alamos, the beautiful trees that turned bright yellow for a couple weeks in fall.
I'm still impressed with my pictures, even if they don't do the live scenery justice.  In fact, I look at them every night before I go to sleep.  This trip has truly given me a second wind as the end of the trip draws near.  21 days to go and I've never been happier to be here or more excited to go home.

"Gratitude is an action." I have renewed happiness and peace, and can't wait to spread love and positivity as actions of my gratitude for this wonderful experience I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment