Friday, April 29, 2011

Heading Home

Things I'll miss about Argentina
It was 4 months of ups and downs.  I have loved and hated Buenos Aires and every emotion in between.  I'm sure I won't realize how much BA has become dear to my heart until the ecstasy of being reunited with friends, family, and familiarity fades back into humdrum everyday life in Missouri.  There are a few things that it's going to be hard to part with.


Plaza Francia- We're guaranteed to have something to do every weekend with just a short stroll from our house.  Whether I want to shop, grab lunch, listen to music, or just hang out on the grass with a mate or beer, it's the place to go.  That just doesn't exist back home.  Who doesn't love simple, free fun?

Fresh-Squeezed OJ- Getting your vitamins never tasted so good.  There's nothing like sweatily marching to class dying of thirst only to see on the corner ahead the tempting refreshment of orange juice made especially for you.  Or perhaps to wake you up before an early morning bus ride at Retiro.  No matter what the time of day, it's hard to pass up this deliciousness that surpasses any boxed oj by far.


Dar un paseo- Buenos Aires is a city of pedestrians, but I think Recoleta is especially filled with people taking a stroll.  No need to have somewhere to go, just meander around the neighborhood people-watching.  I do think a lot in downtown Columbia, but it's much more normal here and the surroundings of parks, sculptures, and vendors for an spontaneous treat make it even more enjoyable.

Cheap Transportation-While I miss the freedom of driving my own car anywhere, anytime and being able to blare my music, it sure is nice to take a bus home from a bar.  My 30 cent bus rides to anywhere in the city are a nice break from filling a gas tank every week.  I will NOT miss, however, having to carry coins every day of my life.  



Things I can't wait to have back home
Ok, so I definitely don't need these things to survive.  I'm use to living without, but I'll have a whole new appreciation of the smallest things.

For starters, a double-side sink. See?  How stupid does that sound?  Of course my life has gone on just fine without it, but to be able to wash dishes without soaking the entire countertop would be nice.

Speaking of washing dishes, a dishwasher, is gonna be glorious.  What? You just put it in and it does the work?  I know, I know, even my parents lived without dishwashers most of their lives, but it will be so nice to not have to worry about it after you just put in all that effort to cooking dinner.

Who am I kidding?  I miss pretty much every kitchen appliance there is.  An electric stove, blenders, tupperware, you name it...

MEXICAN FOOD!!! I promise you it deserves that kind of exaggeration.  I know I'm not in Mexico or anything, but these people didn't even know what a jalepeño was.  Any ingredient to make our own Mexican food at home is sooo expensive.  Tortillas, beans, salsa, limes are all not easy to come by.  Hellllooo Santacruz when I get back.  Even their margaritas are weird here.

This undying craving is made worse by the fact that there is NO spicy food here.  None.  Pepper is not even normal.  Spicy food has a "mal sentido," is thought of badly, here.  I'm dyyying.  The only flavor to any food here seems to be tomato, basil, and mozzarella. In empanadas, pizza, pan relleno, every food they eat.  If you want to mix things up, one of your few other options is ham and cheese.

America might not have many original cuisines to consider it's own, but I have an incredible appreciation for the variety and accessibility we have to every international cuisine or style imaginable.  We've read blogs of people who gain like 20 pounds when they return home because they're so happy to have their own food back.  I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't happen to me, but feel free to take me out to dinner every night of the week.  It will be quite some time before I get sick of remembering all my old favorites.

"My" room- I never have the same house for long.  Even when I return to the states, I only have a makeshift bedroom I still don't consider entirely home yet.  I'll be moving within two weeks of getting back.  But I can not take the tiny room with dreadfully boring white walls and creepy paintings anymore.  I bought a plant to make me happier, but nothing can replace the brilliantly colored tye-dyes that cover the walls of whatever place I choose to make home for a few months.  Pictures of friends, awards, all the things that decorate a space to make it mine.  Also, my bed might be as old as I am, but it's a queen and I can't wait to divebomb on that badboy.  I'm going to sleep spread out like a starfish for like a week, just because I can.


Well folks, it's time for me to leave work, and you're prolly bored anyways, so I'm going to call it quits for the day.  I have lots of blog updates coming soon, including our trip to the world's second-largest waterfalls! So check back soon!


Hasta luego,
Amelia

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” - Maria Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment